I'm listening right now to Bill McGlaughlin's show, "Exploring Music" on KUFH. His show is consistently interesting so I try to listen during my lunch break when I can. The promos for the theme this week, "Clowning Around, " mentioned Stravinsky, so I marked the time on my calendar. And I almost missed it, dawdling over some work at my desk.
When I tuned in at 12:35 he was describing the creation of Pulchinella, a ballet commissioned by Serge Diaghalev based on music by Pergolesi. McGlaughlin played the performance by the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra and, I have to say, it was fabulous--very transparent and shimmering. The wind parts are great, especially (I know!) the bassoon. And the strings did this great percussive effect in the 2nd movement, very lightly, so they sounded like a snare drum. I much prefer this performance over the Pittsburgh Symphony broadcast I heard earlier this month.
McGlaughlin wraps up with this: "The composer with the greatest rhythmic drive of the 20th century turned loose on the composer with the greatest rhythmic drive of the 17th century." He closes this section with Stravinsky's famous response to Diaghalev's disapproval: "Respect --no, what we want here is love because respect begets no children".
When: Monday, 7/23/07, 12:35 pm
Who: Orpheus Chamber Orchestra
Where: KUHF 88.7, Exploring Music with Bill McGlaughlin.
Program: Rameau, "La Poule" from Novelles suites de pieces de clavecin, Christie, hps.; Satie, Parade, Minneapolis Symphony, Dorati, cond.; Stravinsky, Pulchinella, Orpheus Chamber Orchestra; Satie, Sonatine bureaucratique, Thibaudet, p.
Source: Exploring Music website; click on playlists.
Monday, July 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment