Tuesday, July 24, 2007

4. Greeting Prelude

I managed to catch Bill McGlaughlin's show today as planned. While I was listening to the first two selections, a former colleague, now retired, dropped by to visit. I took off my headphones so we could talk (I was genuinely happy to see him) and missed the first Stravinsky piece, Circus Polka. Then I couldn't resist any longer, so we both listened to the second one, Greeting Prelude, which is Stravinsky' s interpretation of "Happy Birthday." Clocking in at 53 seconds, it's "Happy Birthday" gone awry--a cubist Happy Birthday. I think I heard McGlaughlin say he wrote it for Leopold Stokowski's b'day, but don't quote me on that until I can look it up (ever the librarian!).

When: Tuesday, 7/24/07, 12:10 pm
Who: London Philharmonic, Charles Mackerras, cond.
Where: Exploring Music, KUHF 88.7
Program: Stravinsky: Circus Polka & Greeting Prelude (Classics for Pleasure 573441)
Source: Exploring Music website; click on playlists.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

he wrote it for the eightieth birthday of pierre monteux...i had the luxury of playing the rite of spring my sophmore year of college, and we played the little birthday song first on the concert, too. (spring, 1973)